You have finally decided to launch your personal food blog – Congratulations! The next part requires a mix of both technical and creative understanding. It is pretty obvious that you need a domain name for your blog, besides a hosting plan ad CMS. For the CMS, we would recommend that you continue with WordPress, because it doesn’t a lot of effort to create a website with the platform, and you can hundreds of plug-ins for added functionality. That said, you must consider other pointers to ensure that your food blog stands out. Here are the 10 tips that every food blogger must know about.
- Focus on minimal design. In an attempt to add some drama, many food bloggers end up complicating their website. Make sure that the design is simple and minimal.
- Be authentic. You cannot copy content for your food blog. If you want to build a brand from what you do, always add authentic content.
- Add high-quality photos. Poor quality and low-resolution photos & images on a food blog can kill the buzz. If you don’t have one already, invest in a good camera.
- Share about yourself. Random websites don’t always enjoy readership because people don’t know the person they are following. Make sure that the food blog talks about you.
- Make the website social-media worthy. You want people to share photos and content on social media sites, especially on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. If you are using WordPress, you will find ready plug-ins for that.
- Insist on email subscriptions. If you want your audience to follow your food blog, you have to enable email subscriptions on the portal, and it doesn’t have to be complicated.
- Add a comment section. Don’t ask your visitors to login before they comment on a blog post. Make the commenting system as simple and easy as possible. If you still don’t like something, you can always delete later.
- Share your sources. Enthusiastic food bloggers often forget that people have access to the internet. You cannot lift a recipe and get away without giving the due credit to the source.
- Be regular. Don’t expect your blog to grow if you are sharing posts after months. You need regular, unique and authentic content on your website.
- Make sure to use SEO. With WordPress, you have the choice of Yoast SEO plug-in and there are other options too. SEO doesn’t have to be complicated, and it makes your website findable.
Check online for domain names and hosting plans!