If your child is in a bad mood, this is the best way to cheer them up. Every kid loves the potato smiley recipe! This potato based dough is molded into small and flat rounds bearing eyes and a smile put upon on each with the help of straw and spoon. Once they are deep fried, they tend to crisp up and become golden brown in color which looks amazing! This cheery snack is the best way to begin your meal with a good mood, quite literally! You need to serve it immediately because it will lose its crispiness. It is best served when crispy and hot.
Here is how to make smileys.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- boiled and grated potatoes
- bread crumbs
- corn flour
- chilli powder
- freshly grounded black pepper
- oil for deep-frying
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and knead a small dough out of it without using water. The same dough can be used to make aloo ki tikki.
- Cover the dough with a lid and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Segregate the dough in two equal parts.
- Put up a plastic sheet on a dry surface and put a part of dough in the center. Apply light pressure on it and then place another plastic sheet over it.
- Roll the dough in 200 millimeters. Around 8 inches thick circle with the help of a rolling pin.
- Get rid of the plastic sheet from the top and make seven rounds bearing 2 inches in diameter. Do this with the help of a cookie cutter or small round bowl.
- Place these 7 circles on a dry surface and create the eyes of the smiley with the help of straw and the smile with the help of a spoon on each round dough.
- You can make more smileys with the remaining dough.
- Keep repeating steps 4 to 8 to make more smileys with the remaining dough.
- Now, heat the oil in a non stick pan for deep frying the smileys.
- Begin frying on a medium flame until they turn golden brown in color from both sides.
- Drain the smileys on an absorbent paper.
- Serve them immediately while they are hot. Serve with a side of ketchup for better taste.